Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Little More Matsuri and Fun at Goh's

Friday, the 20th, was my farewell ceremony at my junior high school. It wasn't too sad. I gave a little speech, they gave me flowers, we clapped. The students all left school by 11:00am, so it was a short day. I had a meeting at 2:30, so I had to say "さようなら" to my co-workers for the last time. I'll miss their faces.
After my meeting, I headed down to the festival with a few friends and walked around...running into ALL my students again...and then two more times. I didn't take too many pictures this time.

My JHS girls in their yukatas 浴衣 (informal summer kimono).
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Some of my elementary girls in their yukatas. They are so cute.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

A float "garage."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The main event in this festival is the men who carry the mini-float through the Arakawa River and then carry it through the streets. They drink the entire time they do this, and I have no idea how they even make it through the day. They look so tired and that float can't be the lightest thing in the world.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some important Chichibu Shrine people.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

After the festival, Lynnette and I headed to Mr. Goh Arai's house. Goh is a chairman in the Chichibu City Council. He is the youngest councilman ever in Chichibu. And he is a cool guy. He went to college in the U.S. and speaks English very well. This is the second time I have been to his house, so there will be pictures from that night as well. He has a really cool lounge-like room with a full bar, karaoke, Wii...

Goh in his traditional float pulling gear. He participated in the festival because he is a V.I.P. Or at least he thinks he is.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They wear some pretty cool pants...looks like he is wearing a diaper.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is Junichiro (Jun), Goh's best friend from childhood. He is hilarious. He was in San Diego for a month back in 2000-soomething. It is strange talking to someone in Chichibu about Balboa Park and learning his surprised reaction to Hillcrest. He does know some random English. It sucks though because if I try to be a smartass and say something really fast, usually one of them catches it. Damn! It has finally caught up with me. Jun works for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. He speaks tagalog, so he translates for the Dept. He also loves Lynnette because she is Filipina and likes to talk to her in tagalog. :)
"Karate-chop!"
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They loves them some karaoke.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

These pictures from the first night at Goh's. Most of them I can't post though...I don't want to cause a scandal in the Chichibu government.

Goh, Yuko, Jun, Miyuki
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Best buddies
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Four hours later...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And a picture of me and two of my third grade students (this has nothing to do with this post...just didn't feel like editing another one.)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home