Thursday, November 30, 2006

Yokohama

Yesterday (Wednesday), ten of the teachers I work with at my Junior High School and myself, took a three hour bus ride to Yokohama. Yokohama is San Diego's sister city. Our trip began at 7:00am in front of Chichibu City Hall where the bus picked me up. We had a forty seater for the 11 of us. Nice. By 7:30 all of the teachers were picked up and we were on the road. We started the morning by giving short speeches about why we were excited to go to Yokohama. Any occasion is an occasion for a speech in this country, I tell ya. So, I said something really fast since no one but one person (one of the English teachers) could understand me, and come to think of it, if I don't talk slow and robotic, the English teacher doesn't understand me much either. So, at 8:00, Takizawa-sensei strolled down the bus aisle with beverages of various sorts...beer, lemon chu-hi's, grapefruit chu-hi's, etc. So, being the ever so willing to please gaijin I am, I took a lemon chu-hi. So, we were all drinking in the wee hours of the morning on a bus headed towards Yokohama. Do the Japanese know how to party or what? When I busted out the ol' cell phone camera my principal asked the English teacher if I had ever seen/had a chu-hi before. Um, yeah...I just haven't ever had one in my hand this early in the morning was my reply. He laughed and chugged away.

The breakfast of champions...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Meanwhile, the inflight entertainment was boomin'. There was a television screen in the bus that we played bingo on. We were given cards while my vice-principal belted out the number is Japanese. I won. I am now the proud owner of plastic wrap (this is the SECOND time I've won Saran Wrap...what the...?) and a face protector/neck thingy. I don't know what it is called, but damn! I was excited to get one. I was going to buy one this weekend because my face gets so cold on my motorbike. I used it today and it made all the difference. Plus, it is in a sexy camoflauge pattern. No one will recognize me now.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

There was also karaoke on the bus and my teachers wanted me to sing. The only English songs that were there was the Beatles (and I have been singing 'Imagine' and 'Hello Goodbye' in my classes the last three months and want to SHOOT myself everytime I hear those songs...so that was out.)

Well, we arrived at Yokohama and I was pretty impressed by the city. It reminded me a lot of the Bay Area and a little bit of San Diego and downtown Old Sacramento. It was nice to be on the water and breathe in some ocean air again.

There is a huge ferris wheel in the middle of the city. HUGE.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is a photo of me (hmm..where am I? And don't mind the wild hair)and some of the teachers and principal I work with. We are in front of the Red Brick Warehouse that has been converted into a mall. It had some pretty cool stuff in it. I actually enjoyed shopping.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Nakata-sensei, Ihara-sensei, Arai-sensei, Kocho-sensei, Ashihara-sensei, Takizawa sensei, GiantGaijinWhoDoesn'tBelongInThePicture-sensei, and Asaka-sensei

We ate lunch at this hotel...tabehodai!!!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some photos of the city
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We finished the day by going to a Japanese garden. It was very beautiful. Many of the building were hundreds of years old. Most of them were in Kyoto initially and moved to Yokohama in the early 1900's.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And these are by far the largest koi fish I've ever seen. Even bigger than that monster we had in the pool when I was a kid. These things apparently are accoustomed to visitors feeding them because as I walked over the bridge at least 30 of them came up to the top and opened their monstrous mouths. Huge...huge...HUGE. I think if I had fell in the pond, then would have stripped my bones clean in 1.5 minutes.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Overall, it was a great trip. We ended it on the bus by giving closing speeches about our favorite part of the day. I wasn't surprised.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hello,

You have posted some nice photos. I hope the Japan experience works out for you.

Russ

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home